Additional requirements for the State of South Carolina
add-on Teaching Certificate in ESOL
• Bachelor’s degree
• Initial or professional certificate at the elementary, middle, secondary or pre-K–12 level
• Minimum qualifying score(s) on the South Carolina content area examination(s) required by the State Board of Education
• Second language learning experiences documented by any one of the following:
• six semester hours in a single second language;
• completion of intensive language training by the Peace Corps, the Foreign Service Institute or the Defense language Institute;
• placement in a third-year-level course in the foreign language department at an accredited college or university; or
• demonstration of second-language proficiency in a language that is unavailable at accredited institutions through verification in writing from an
official designated by the State Department of Education.
* For the purpose of the State of South Carolina add-on Teaching Certificate in ESOL the Practicum may be waived based on one year’s experience teaching
From State Deptartment of Education updated July 2012.
Graduate Programs 255
2018-2019 USC Upstate Catalog